Last Updated on April 13, 2023 by Jessica Lauren Vine
When we first started RVing, I kept asking, “Is an inverter generator or a generator better for a travel trailer RV?”
We started out with a Wolf Pup 18TO and we were totally newbies without a clue. We did find out the answer and were able to get the best generator for RVs out there (in my humble opinion and experience).
An inverter generator is the best for a travel trailer RV or any RV.
This generator saved us from burning due to lack of air conditioning or not being able to cook quite a few times. Works great.
- Nice run time
- Great brand name
- Lightweight enough for the watts
- Parallel capable
- Not totally budget-friendly
Why Inverter Generators are Best for a Travel Trailer RV
If you aren’t super “handy” (this is me), then learning about generators can be super annoying, so I am going to make it as easy as possible so even someone with my level of understanding can get what’s going on here.
- Uses less fuel
- Are quieter
- Are lighter
- Provides cleaner power
So, if inverter generators are obviously so much better for RVs, why would anyone use a “normal” generator for their RV?
That answer is simple.
Inverter generators are more expensive than regular generators. Yes, that does stink, but I believe it is worth the cost.
The Difference Between Inverter Generators and Generators
If you feel a little confused about the difference between an inverter generator and a normal generator here are some key differences that can help you understand them more.
- Generators are designed for construction and power tool use
- Generators are often used for backup power for residential or commercial buildings
- Generators are extremely loud
- Inverter generators are lighter due to their design and the way they generate power
- Inverter generators produce clean power that won’t fry your sensitive appliances and gadgets
- Inverter generators can run anything that would normally run on AC power
If you want to get into the technical differences between inverter generators and “normal” generators, that’s a whole other ballgame, and I will need some help explaining this.
What Size of Inverter Generator or Generator Do You Need?
You can see how big of a generator you need personally by checking out this generator wattage calculator we put together for you.
Frequently Asked Questions about RVs and Generators/Inverter Generators
These are some questions that come in pretty often about generators and inverter generators for RVs.
Can you use an inverter generator for an RV?
Yes. Inverter generators are best for RVs
What are the cons of an inverter generator for RVers?
What size generator do I need for a 25 foot travel trailer?
It depends on how much you want to run. Use a generator wattage calculator to find out how much wattage you need for your specific situation.
Is an Inverter Generator or a Generator Better for a Travel Trailer RV? – Wrapping Up
If you can afford it, you’ll definitely be happy that you opted for an inverter generator. This was one of the most confusing things we had to pick when we were RVing, and I hope that I made it a little easier on you.
- Best RV Campgrounds & RV Parks Near Birmingham, Alabama - May 22, 2023
- Do You Need to Chock Both Sides of an RV? - May 7, 2023
- Is It Cheaper to Live in an RV or an Apartment in 2023 - April 30, 2023